- Record Recurring Revenues of $80.8 Million, Up by 25%
- Total Revenues of $97.5 Million, Up by 23%
Non-GAAP net income, which excludes stock-based compensation, was $9.7 million, or $0.34 per diluted share, for the second quarter of 2013, compared with non-GAAP net income of $5.9 million, or $0.21 per diluted share, for the second quarter of 2012. See “Use of Non-GAAP Financial Information” below.
“Our second quarter revenue results were in line with our expectations and our 2013 goals, and our operating margin once again exceeded our expectations,” said Scott Scherr, founder, president, and CEO of Ultimate. “In June, Ultimate celebrated 15 years as a public company. Over the past 15 years, we have grown from a little over 300 employees to 1,735 at the close of this year’s second quarter. Today we support more than 2,500 businesses whose operations span 144 countries.
“Ultimate pioneered our industry’s move to the cloud in 2002 by delivering the first HR/payroll software solution on a SaaS basis. Today we continue to lead the human capital management industry providing a full-scope, strategic suite of HR, payroll, time, and talent management solutions.”
Ultimate’s financial results teleconference will be held today, July 30, 2013, at 5:00 p.m. Eastern Time, through Vcall at www.investorcalendar.com/IC/CEPage.asp?ID=170359. The call will be available for replay at the same address beginning at 9:00 p.m. Eastern Time today. Windows Media Player software is required to listen to the call and can be downloaded from the site. Forward-looking information about future company performance will be discussed during the teleconference call.
- Recurring revenues grew by 25% for the second quarter of 2013 compared with 2012’s second quarter. The increase was primarily attributable to revenue growth from our cloud offering. Recurring revenues for the second quarter of 2013 were 83% of total revenues as compared with 82% of total revenues for 2012’s second quarter.
- Ultimate’s total revenues for the second quarter of 2013 increased by 23% compared with those for the second quarter of 2012.
- Our operating income increased 64%, on a non-GAAP basis, for the second quarter of 2013 to $16.8 million as compared with $10.3 million for the same period of 2012. Our non-GAAP operating margin was 17.2% for the second quarter of 2013 versus 13.0% for the second quarter of 2012.
- Ultimate’s annualized retention rate exceeded 96% for its existing recurring revenue customer base as of June 30, 2013.
- The combination of cash, cash equivalents, and marketable securities was $91.1 million as of June 30, 2013, compared with $69.4 million as of December 31, 2012. Cash flows from operating activities for the quarter ended June 30, 2013, were $14.4 million, compared with $8.3 million for the same period of 2012. For the six months ended June 30, 2013, Ultimate generated $32.5 million in cash from operations compared with $22.7 million for the six months ended June 30, 2012.
- Days sales outstanding were 66 days at June 30, 2013, representing a reduction of five days compared with days sales outstanding at December 31, 2012.
- During the six months ended June 30, 2013, we used $6.7 million to acquire 68,926 shares of our Common Stock to settle the employee tax withholding liability resulting from the vesting of our employees’ restricted stock holdings.
- As of June 30, 2013, we had 946,165 shares available for repurchase in the future under our previously announced Stock Repurchase Plan.
Ultimate provides the following financial guidance for the third quarter ending September 30, 2013, and full year 2013:
For the third quarter of 2013:
- Recurring revenues of approximately $84.0 million,
- Total revenues of approximately $103.0 million, and
- Operating margin, on a non-GAAP basis (discussed below), of approximately 18%.
For the year 2013:
- Recurring revenues to increase by approximately 25% over those of 2012,
- Total revenues to increase by approximately 23% over those of 2012, and
- Operating margin, on a non-GAAP basis (discussed below), of approximately 17%.
Operating margin expectations were determined on a non-GAAP basis using the methodologies identified under the caption “Use of Non-GAAP Financial Information” in this press release. Non-cash stock-based compensation expense for 2013 is expected to be approximately $37.5 million.
Certain statements in this press release are, and certain statements on the teleconference call may be, forward-looking statements within the meaning provided under the Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995. Such forward-looking statements are made only as of the date hereof. These statements involve known and unknown risks and uncertainties that may cause Ultimate’s actual results to differ materially from those stated or implied by such forward-looking statements, including risks and uncertainties associated with fluctuations in Ultimate’s quarterly operating results, concentration of Ultimate’s product offerings, development risks involved with new products and technologies, competition, contract renewals with business partners, compliance by our customers with the terms of their contracts with us, and other factors disclosed in Ultimate’s filings with the Securities and Exchange Commission. Ultimate undertakes no obligation to publicly update or revise any forward-looking statements, whether as a result of new information, future events, or otherwise.
To learn more about HRchitect and how we can help your organization, please visit www.HRchitect.com. HRchitect is the leader in HR systems strategic consulting. As the premier Human Capital Management (HCM) Systems consulting firm, we offer end-to-end HR technology consulting services focused around strategic planning, evaluation/selection, project management and implementation of HR systems, Talent Management Systems, Talent Acquisition Systems, and Workforce Management software. After more than 16 years in business working on over 2000 successful engagements for more than 900 clients across the globe, HRchitect is a name you can trust as your one-stop shop for all your HR technology consulting needs.
Matt Lafata, HRchitect