- Record Recurring Revenues of $85.2 Million, Up by 26%
- Record Total Revenues of $103.1 Million, Up by 25%
WESTON, Fla.–(BUSINESS WIRE)–Ultimate Software (Nasdaq: ULTI), a leading cloud provider of people management solutions, announced today its financial results for the third quarter of 2013. For the quarter ended September 30, 2013, Ultimate reported recurring revenues of $85.2 million, a 26% increase, and total revenues of $103.1 million, a 25% increase, both compared with 2012’s third quarter. GAAP net income for the third quarter of 2013 was $6.3 million, or $0.22 per diluted share, versus GAAP net income of $4.7 million, or $0.16 per diluted share, for the third quarter of 2012.
Non-GAAP net income, which excludes stock-based compensation, was $11.7 million, or $0.40 per diluted share, for the third quarter of 2013, compared with non-GAAP net income of $8.1 million, or $0.29 per diluted share, for the third quarter of 2012. See “Use of Non-GAAP Financial Information” below.
“In this year’s third quarter, we again executed according to plan with both our recurring and total revenues coming in slightly above guidance,” said Scott Scherr, CEO, president, and founder of Ultimate. “Our operating margin was also on the positive side of our target, and we are well-positioned to achieve our 2013 objectives.
“We showcased two new products at the HR Technology Conference in Las Vegas earlier this month that strategically extend the capabilities of our HCM offering, and both generated market enthusiasm,” added Scherr. “The first was our new UltiPro Recruiting solution with its candidate-centric design, new state-of-the-art user interface, gamification, collaboration tools, mobility, and integration with popular social networks. The second was our acquisition of EmployTouch that provides us with an acclaimed tablet-based time collection and employee self-service device called TouchBase for our customers and gives us a pool of talented engineers to help us continue innovating as we grow our UltiPro product suite.”
Ultimate’s financial results teleconference will be held today, October 29, 2013, at 5:00 p.m. Eastern Time, through Vcall at www.investorcalendar.com/IC/CEPage.asp?ID=170360. The call will be available for replay at the same address beginning at 9:00 p.m. Eastern Time today. Windows Media Player software is required to listen to the call and can be downloaded from the site. Forward-looking information about future company performance will be discussed during the teleconference call.
- Recurring revenues grew by 26% for the third quarter of 2013 compared with 2012’s third quarter. The increase was primarily attributable to revenue growth from our cloud offering. Recurring revenues for the third quarter of 2013 were 83% of total revenues as compared with 82% of total revenues for 2012’s third quarter.
- Ultimate’s total revenues for the third quarter of 2013 increased by 25% compared with those for the third quarter of 2012.
- Our operating income increased 43%, on a non-GAAP basis, for the third quarter of 2013 to $20.2 million as compared with $14.2 million for the same period of 2012. Our non-GAAP operating margin was 19.6% for the third quarter of 2013 versus 17.2% for the third quarter of 2012.
- Ultimate’s annualized retention rate exceeded 96% for its existing recurring revenue customer base as of September 30, 2013.
- The combination of cash, cash equivalents, and marketable securities was $111.4 million as of September 30, 2013, compared with $69.4 million as of December 31, 2012. Cash flows from operating activities for the quarter ended September 30, 2013 were $21.8 million, compared with $9.6 million for the same period of 2012. For the nine months ended September 30, 2013, Ultimate generated $54.3 million in cash from operations compared with $32.3 million for the nine months ended September 30, 2012.
- Days sales outstanding were 66 days at September 30, 2013, representing a reduction of five days compared with days sales outstanding at December 31, 2012.
- During the nine months ended September 30, 2013, we used $8.3 million to acquire 79,767 shares of our Common Stock to settle the employee tax withholding liability resulting from the vesting of our employees’ restricted stock holdings.
- In addition, as of September 30, 2013, we had 946,165 shares available for repurchase in the future under our previously announced Stock Repurchase Plan.
Ultimate provides the following financial guidance for the 2013 full year and preliminary financial guidance for the 2014 full year:
For the year 2013:
- Recurring revenues to increase by approximately 25% over 2012,
- Total revenues to increase by approximately 23% over 2012, and
- Operating margin, on a non-GAAP basis (discussed below), of approximately 18%.
For the year 2014, preliminary:
- Recurring revenues to increase by approximately 25% over 2013,
- Total revenues to increase by approximately 23% over 2013, and
- Operating margin, on a non-GAAP basis (discussed below), of approximately 19%.
Operating margin expectations were determined on a non-GAAP basis using the methodologies identified under the caption “Use of Non-GAAP Financial Information” in this press release. Non-cash stock-based compensation expense for 2013 and 2014 is expected to be approximately $37.5 million and $50.0 million, respectively.
Certain statements in this press release are, and certain statements on the teleconference call may be, forward-looking statements within the meaning provided under the Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995. Such forward-looking statements are made only as of the date hereof. These statements involve known and unknown risks and uncertainties that may cause Ultimate’s actual results to differ materially from those stated or implied by such forward-looking statements, including risks and uncertainties associated with fluctuations in Ultimate’s quarterly operating results, concentration of Ultimate’s product offerings, development risks involved with new products and technologies, competition, contract renewals with business partners, compliance by our customers with the terms of their contracts with us, and other factors disclosed in Ultimate’s filings with the Securities and Exchange Commission. Ultimate undertakes no obligation to publicly update or revise any forward-looking statements, whether as a result of new information, future events, or otherwise.
Ultimate is a leading cloud provider of people management solutions, with more than 10 million people records in the cloud. Built on the belief that people are the most important ingredient of any business, Ultimate’s award-winning UltiPro delivers HR, payroll, time, and talent management solutions that seamlessly connect people with the information and resources they need to work more effectively. Founded in 1990, the company is headquartered in Weston, Florida, and has more than 1,800 professionals focused on developing the highest quality solutions and services. In 2013, Ultimate was ranked #9 on FORTUNE’s “100 Best Companies to Work For” list, and Minyanville Media Inc. named Ultimate among the top 10 most ethical businesses in the United States. In its Cloud Buyer’s Bill of Rights Certification, Constellation Research awarded Ultimate its highest level of certification. Ultimate has more than 2,500 customers with employees in 144 countries, including Adobe Systems Incorporated, Culligan International, Major League Baseball, Pep Boys, and Texas Roadhouse. More information on Ultimate’s products and services for people management can be found at www.ultimatesoftware.com.
UltiPro is a registered trademark of The Ultimate Software Group, Inc. All other trademarks referenced are the property of their respective owners.
To learn more about HRchitect and how we can help your organization, please visit www.HRchitect.com. HRchitect is the leader in HR systems strategic consulting. As the premier Human Capital Management (HCM) Systems consulting firm, we offer end-to-end HR technology consulting services focused around strategic planning, evaluation/selection, project management and implementation of HR systems, Talent Management Systems, Talent Acquisition Systems, and Workforce Management software. After more than 16 years in business working on over 2000 successful engagements for more than 900 clients across the globe, HRchitect is a name you can trust as your one-stop shop for all your HR technology consulting needs.
Matt Lafata, HRchitect